THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sick Day

My daughter stayed home from school today.  And luckily, the Ritz crackers and Sprite she had this morning have stayed down.  I don't know if I could have handled a repeat of last night (ewww....shuddering.....ewww).

She has been on the couch all day half sleeping and half watching HGTV....which is actually a little disappointing for me, I was hoping for a Disnel Channel or PBS Kids day.

This is her second day in the last two weeks missing some school due to illness.  I think that matches my total from High School.  I wasn't good at missing school.  I always felt like I was going to miss something and then be lost.  In fact we were just talking last night at supper about how I missed two weeks in 7th grade with the chicken pox - the last week of one quarter and the first week of the next quarter.  So I had to finish my Home Ec sewing project at home, and then start Industrial Arts a week after all the other kids.  I was telling her how much stress was involved in that for me... how all the other kids knew what they were doing and nobody really bothered to explain to me what to do.

(although getting to use my mom's sewing machine probably gave me a home field advantage in the sewing of the Chargers football helmet on my bag....so maybe it all evened out.)


In general I think my kids probably miss less school than the average kids due in no small part to my attitude toward missing school when I was young.  They'll wake up in the morning and tell me they don't feel good, and I ignore it.  Only if they bring it up multiple times will we get into a discussion about it....and then 99% of the time, I send them out the door.


No comments:

Post a Comment