THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

5th Grade Band

My son began playing the trombone last summer.  Those first few weeks were a little tough on the ears, but he really has made good progress.  He has one lesson a week during the school day with other trombones.  And the entire band has an after school practice together once a week.  To me, that does not seem  like a huge time commitment.

But to him it does, apparently.  Last night he told me he didn't want to play trombone anymore.  It takes too much time.

My guess is that he would rather be home on the couch with his Ipod or playing minecraft on the computer....but really....one after school practice a week is too much time?

I think another part of it is that his trombone case is bigger than he is.  He does not enjoy carrying it to and from school.

So, my question is this...at what point do we give in and let him stop playing?
I'm certainly not there yet, but I don't want to be the parent that forces his kids to do things they don't like to do.  (flu shots and  dentist trips excluded)

How long do other parents force their kids to be in band (or choir, or soccer, or baseball, or drama club) even when the kids don't want to do it anymore.

Sometimes, I think if it were up to him, he'd never leave the house.


(Although I should add as a footnote, that I quit playing football after 7th grade in part because I liked to come home after school and watch the Brady Bunch on WTBS at 3:35....so maybe the apple does not fall far from the tree.)


No comments:

Post a Comment