THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Ward Cleaver Moment

Remember on "Leave It To Beaver" how in almost every episode the boys would do something wrong and be afraid to tell their dad, so they would do something goofy to try and cover up the situation?  What kind of a Dad has kids that can't come to him and talk when they have a problem?

Over the weekend we took a little trip to Minneapolis.  We joined my brother-in-law and his family at a hotel/water park and we spent Saturday afternoon at the Mall of America.  My 8 year old son wanted to buy a plastic case for his Nintendo DS that had a little drawer that holds 3 games.  After several negotiation sessions, (including me saying "no" about 37 times) I gave in and let him buy it.  Neither of us noticed that is was actually a case for a Nintendo DSi...which meant that his DS did not actually fit in the case.  Once we got back to the hotel, it quickly became obvious that the case was not going to work out, but he would not admit defeat and said he could use it even if it didn't fit.  

"It's ok Daddy, I can use it without the lid."  
"It's ok if it falls out all the time."  
"I don't care that I can't use all the buttons."
Flash forward to today...after two days of pretending his new case was working out, he asks if he can whisper something in my ear.  I assume it is going to be the usual request for a bowl of pretzels or to call his friend to come over and play.  But as I walk over to him, I can tell something is wrong.  He seems upset.  As I bend down to listen, I can see tears in his eyes.  And here is where the punch to the stomach comes.  "Dad, promise you won't get mad?"
What?  I have made my son afraid to tell me something because he thinks I'll get mad.  That is not good.
"I want to return my DS case.  It doesn't fit."  He whispers as more tears come down his face.
Admittedly I want to say "I knew we shouldn't have bought that thing!!!!!"  But maybe that's why he's crying.  That's what he is afraid I will say.  And that is what makes him cry as he talks to me.  He is afraid of me yelling or making him feel worse.
"Sure, we can try and take it back."  That wasn't so hard.  Maybe I need to do a little better job paying attention to how I am reacting and what I am saying to my kids.  I guess they are paying attention and remembering.  

I don't want to have any more Ward Cleaver moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment