THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

3rd Grade Invention Convention Trauma

It just doesn't get any easier, does it?  I don't know how I will make it through the teenage years, when third grade can be so traumatic for both son and dad.

My son had his 3rd grade "Invention Convention" at school today.  The class had been given the assignment of creating an invention using one or more simple machines (inclined plane, screw, wedge, lever, pulley, or wheel and axel).  My son came up with a pulley system to raise and lower a bone for our dog.  We built it, he colored flames on it, and we sent it to school this morning.  They had a time during the day for parents to come and walk around the convention and let the kids demonstrate their inventions.  He did a great job with his demonstrations and seemed happy with everything.  And he got 50 out of 50 points on the assignment from his teacher.  
So, happy ending, right?  
No.
Tonight at bedtime, after he brushed his teeth, I found him sitting in the bathroom crying.  I had no idea why.  
"My invention was stupid.  Everybody else's was better than mine.  I hated mine.  I had to pretend all day that I liked it, but I didn't.  Mine was the worst one."  All that came spilling out between sobs.
My heart sank.  I was crushed.  I had no words to make him feel better.  
"I thought your invention was awesome.  Your teacher liked it.  It was just as good as all the rest."  He wasn't buying any of it.

If Third Grade is this bad, what will high school be like?  I'm doomed.



This picture shows him smiling on the outside....but he wasn't smiling on the inside.   :(

No comments:

Post a Comment