THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Coat Shopping

March 23rd is not a good time to need a new winter coat.  But combine yesterday's late season snow storm, today's cold temperatures, and my son breaking the zipper on his coat last night, and that is exactly what he needed.

So I send him to school in a coat that doesn't zip up (bad dad) and then hit all the stores.  
First Store - nothing.  A few hats and gloves are all that remain on their clearance shelves.
Second Store - a maybe.  A few clearance jackets....not sure it's warm enough, but only $10 so I grab one.
Third Store - arrive at 8:25, store doesn't open until 9:00.  rats.
Fourth Store - not a coat any where in site.
Fifth Store - Arrive at 8:57, doesn't open until 9:00.  could wait....but don't.
Sixth Store - Arrive at 9:03, doesn't open until 9:30. 
But now I'm at the mall, so I can at least wander around indoors even though most of the store are not open yet.  
Bonus, the big box mall corner stores are open!
Seventh Store - a few girls coats...maybe he won't notice the pink.  Pass.
Eight Store - Not even close.
Back to the Sixth store which is now open.  Found a boys coat for $99.  No Thanks.
Back to Fifth Store.  The coat may have "previous experience" and already been once upon a child....but for $10, we'll take it!

Drive to school hoping to get it to him before morning recess.  Nope, they're just heading out the door as I pull in to the parking lot.

After all that, I can already hear him after school.  "Dad, this one is ugly.  I wanted one like my old coat.  I wasn't cold any way.  I gave it to another kid.  Can I go without a coat tomorrow?"   

No comments:

Post a Comment