THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

More stories from Target

Thoughts from my weekend working at Target.  (maybe I should change the name of my blog to adventures with a Target employee....but that would mean admitting I've been there long enough to have lots of stories....my plan was just to work there for the 08-09 school year)

First of all, if you have not done your school supply shopping yet, what are you waiting for?  If you can't find any yellow folders, or red pens, it's not Target's fault.  They've had them out since early July! At this point, the selection is well picked over.

I don't claim to be a great parent.  If you've read this blog before, you'll know I regularly admit to being pretty clueless most of the time.  But I heard a couple things at Target over the weekend that makes me think there are others out there struggling with it just as much as I am.

6 year old girl to her mom, "I picked out a backback!"  Holds up a plain green backpack.
Mom to 6 year old daughter, "Are you sure you want that one?  All of your friends will have backpacks with designs on them."
Girl goes and picks out another one.
Mom says, "Not that one....how will you feel when all of the other kids have fancier backbacks than you?"

Really?  Wow.
Or  this one...again, it's a mom and her 6ish year old daughter.

Mom: "Pick out a new towel for your bathroom.  What ever you want."
Girl grabs one and hands it to mom.
Mom: "Not that one....it doesn't match the colors in the bathroom."
repeat
repeat
repeat
eventually....Mom:"Here, let's get this nice red and yellow striped one."

Not so much "what ever you want," was it.

I felt bad for those kids....but I feel bad for the parents too.
They're obviously just as clueless as I am.

1 comment: