THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Gamer - Old School Style

My son is a gamer.  If it was up to him he'd be playing video games from the time he gets out of bed until the time he gets back in bed.  Oh wait...that is what he does.

Of course his games are much more advanced than what I had back in the day, but I can remember spending many an hour in my basement on the Commodore 64 playing games.  My all time favorite was MicroLeague Baseball.  Compared to today's sports video games it hardly qualifies as a sports game, but I loved it.


It was all about strategy and statistics and it was AWESOME.
I'm sure there were days my mom wondered if I would ever leave the basement.  
If I would ever go outside again.  
If I would ever do anything but play that game.  (much like I think those things about Andrew today.)

The best thing about MicroLeague baseball was when we bought the General Manager/Owner upgrade  disk that allowed us to build our own teams.
I proudly present to you the starting lineup of the Bay City Pumas:


  • SS  Jake McKinnon (character from Another World - one of my teen years summer guilty pleasures)
  • CF Mike Nesmith (or "Woolhat" as his teammates called him)
  • 2B Mickey Dolenz (I still regret trading him to a friend's team....not even sure who I got in return...maybe Ed Asner.)
  • 3B Nathan Tomlinson (of course batting clean up and playing third base - just like Mike Schmidt)
  • 1B Rick Springfield (probably the first player I created)
  • RF Theodore "Beaver" Cleaver
  • LF  Tony Dow (sometimes I used the character names, sometimes I used the actors names)
  • C Tony Schiavone (Shout out to my NWA wrestling fan days)


My pitching rotation was anchored by Hugh Beaumont (google him...you'll know him.  I'm pretty sure he is the winningest pitcher in MicroLeague Baseball History).

And with a bench filled with people like Bobby Brady, Hercule Poirot (They aren't all from TV, I did read too), Maxwell Smart, and Sam Drucker (you may need to google him too) I had the coolest team ever assembled.


1 comment:

  1. Other than Tony Schiavone I know all of your team, no google needed. Tells you how old I am.
    -G.Steiner

    ReplyDelete