THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Everyday Adventures with a Retail Worker

A few thoughts from tonight's shift at Target.

I was working in the electronics department at Target tonight.  I don't particularly enjoy working in that department because people tend to assume I know something about electronics.  (shhhhh....I don't.)  So there was a couple that came in and asked me where the Ipads were.  I showed them the case they are stocked in and told them which versions we had.  The lady knew exactly which one she wanted, so I got it out of the locked display case for her.  Then I asked if she wanted a cover for it.  She knew just what she wanted so I grabbed that for her and we went to check out.  At the check out I mentioned that if they had a Target credit card, she could save 5%, so they opened a Target account and saved about $27.

So to review, she came in and knew what she wanted...all I did was get them for her.  When we were done, she said I was very helpful and she wanted to let me manager know how much she appreciated my help.

My thought is that is a pretty sad comment on the expectations of customers these days.  I offered no product insight, answered no questions, added absolutely nothing to her shopping experience (except for an extremely funny comment about Angry Birds)....and she is impressed by that?

I guess sometimes it pays to just be friendly.  You don't always get friendly from store workers.


Another guest in electronics tonight reminded me of a YouTube video I've been sent a couple times of a comedian talking about how people are quick to forget just how easy we have it these days.  For example, complaining about airplane snacks when they should just be amazed at the miracle of flight.  How we can get across the country in hours, where it used to take months and half of your travel party wouldn't survive the trip.

Well tonight, a 14ish year old boy was buying an Ipad.  He went on to complain about how much it cost...and how it really is just a big Ipod.  My thought was (grumpy old man alert!!):  In my day, if you wanted the same amount of computing power, the machine would be bigger than my house.  Now you have it in a notebook size miracle of modern science.   And you're just going to play Fruit Ninja anyway!  This boy has never know life without personal electronic devices that do what ever you want.  No need to think or learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment