THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Travel

It's Christmastime...let the travel begin!
Today we're driving to Iowa.
Next week we're driving to Illinois.

Before we had kids (and even when we did have kids and before they started school), my wife and I would take about 10 vacation days, and drive from Minnesota to Iowa and Illinois all in one great midwestern Holiday trek.

Now that we have school schedules to contend with and work responsibilities have changed, the trek has been shortened or missed all together some years.  But this year it's back in a two phase configuration!  A long weekend in Iowa now, and a mid week jaunt to Illinois between Christmas and New Year's.

I'm so glad an 8 hour day in the car doesn't bother our kids.  They've been doing it their whole lives....it's just normal to them.  As long as we have a bag of snacks and the portable DVD player, we're good.

Sometimes I get jealous of friends who talk about the 20 minute drive to grandma's house and the cousins that have to drive all the way from Wausau.  Not having to travel so much might be convenient....but somehow I think I would miss it.  Lots of good memories have been made on the road.

Merry Christmas everybody.  And safe Travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment