THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Conflict Resolution

I am not good at conflict.  I avoid it whenever I can.  And playing referee when the kids fight is not really a strength of mine.
I seem to have two main strategies:
     1 - yell until both kids are crying.
     2 - ignore it and hope it goes away.  Neither of these seems to work very well.

Option 1 usually leads to all three of us in tears and grumpy with nobody talking to anybody.
Option 2 usually leads to escalating fighting until I resort to option 1.

In this morning's Wii related conflict, magically Option 1 lead to Option 2, which lead to a peaceful and happy resolution.  They are playing together and being nice to each other....and this after I made them both madder when I tried to help and eventually gave up and left them to fight it out.

What does all of this mean?  It means that after nearly 11 years as a dad, I still don't really know what I'm doing.....and I'm wondering if I ever will.  But somehow, it all seems to work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment