THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Identity (again)

Long time readers (Hi, Becky!) know I've written a lot over the years about how I define myself.  And recently, how this blog really should have a new name, because I rarely "stay-at-home-dad" much anymore.  But with all the marketing we've done with that brand....the t-shirts, key chains and billboards....I guess we'll just leave it.  We certainly do still have our everyday adventures!

10 years ago,  when asked what I do, I would say meekly, "I stay home with my kids."  Followed quickly and more assertively with, "but I used to be a computer programmer.  That's what I went to school for and that's what I did for the past 12 years!"

But recently when asked the dreaded "what do you do?" question, my response was quite the opposite.   "I work at a bank."  I said quickly to get it out of the way.   "But I used to stay home with my kids!"   It came out proudly...Almost trying to cover up the fact that I had any other job too.  That I would ever think of leaving my kids home alone to head to work.

So, what do I do?
Ask me again in 10 years....

No comments:

Post a Comment