THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Hold my fin.

My daughter turns 13 in a few days.  
That means two things:
1) I am old.  
2) She is getting older.

Another less obvious thing is that it means she will be old enough to have a facebook account.  We haven't let her yet because "the rules say you have to be 13."  But really, it's because I freak out at the thought of her out there in the vast internet waters.

I've often thought that Marlin from "Finding Nemo" was based on me:




My question for you (as parents, or as teenagers...you know which you are) is how much freedom do you give a 13 year old on Facebook?  I want to know her password so I can read every single word she posts or is said to or about her.  (that's now too much to ask....is it?) 

I've probably read one too many stories about online bullying.  

And it's not that I don't trust her...she's totally awesome and honest and respectful and innocent and awesome.....it's the rest of the ocean I don't trust.







1 comment:

  1. Kaleb really wanted facebook as well. He is only 11 but Brydon told him to get a petition going from his friends and he had to have 20 signatures from people other than his closet friends. Thus he had to branch out and talk to new people. Therefore he did it and brought it home. We have his account information and I have checked on him and he is NEVER on it and really only uses it to play a couple games. I think since they are so young that once they actually get it the newness quickly wears off. Good luck! Allison seems like a GREAT kid and I know she has great parents so I am sure you have NOTHING to worry about!

    ReplyDelete