THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Parent Handbook: Drama Chapter

If there was a parent handbook (wow...would that be a BIG book) there would most certainly be a chapter on handling middle school drama.  I may be wrong...and this may be stereotypical thinking on my part....but I'm pretty sure this will be a much bigger issue for my daughter than for my son.  With him, we're lucky to get the names of people he knows, let alone details about who said what and who is mad at whom.

My daughter was in tears today after school because two of her friends are mad at each other.  She didn't know what to do...they're each such good friends.
Helpless Dad said, "It will all work out."

Really?

That's the best I could do?

Need to find that handbook.

I can't imagine the heartbreak if it was actually my daughter in a fight with a friend.  But come on...how could anybody get in a fight with such a sweet little girl (Dad Blinders fully covering both eyes!)?

Somebody start sending me words of advice for when the first boyfriend situation ends badly.
Seriously....I'll keep them in a folder under my bed and pull them out when needed.



2 comments:

  1. Debbie HertensteinApril 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM

    Allison needs to realize that catfights will occur among her friends for the rest of her life...she must learn to try to remain neutral, or risk losing one or more of the friends. Eventually, they will stop fighting...for awhile! Conflict is a part of life...and among females, due to hormonal shifts, there seems to be quite a bit of drama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Debbie on this one Nathan. Girls frequently skuffle, and then come back together...or not. I remember leaving Clear Lake for our move to Boone...and feeling like all of my Clear Lake friends had turned against me. Years later...I found out that one of my closest friends was very, very hurt that I was moving, and she "turned" our friends (that I had been friends with since Kindergarten away from me because of it). I was heartbroken...and wished I had known that as an 8th grader. I still, to this day, am grateful for the apology, even though it was two decades plus in the making! :) So sorry she has to go through it...but how she develops those coping skills now will create "how" she deals with similiar, but different hurts as an adult. Important thing: keep communicating, and "checking in" with her on it (without hovering). :)

    ReplyDelete