THE STORY BEHIND THE BLOG

This blog started as a place for me to put a few stories I had written about a dad and his two kids and the "everyday adventures" they had together. But it has sort of evolved into a hodge podge of dad related thoughts, stories, songs, and other misc. things.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Excuse me while I get a little emotional

I cried in the movie theater watching "High School Musical 3."
I cried watching the "Diary Of A Wimpy Kid" movie at home on my couch.
I cry at movies....a lot.
I cry listening to the Celine Dion song "Come To Me."

I can't remember if I've always been that way, or if (as I think is the case) my brain to tear duct connection turned into an expressway when I became a dad.

Yesterday I cried, and I can't really figure out why.

I had just watched my 6th grade daughter run in a cross country meet.
I didn't cry tears of joy because she won.  She probably came in about 30th of 40 runners.
I didn't cry out of sorrow because of how slow she was.  She was far from the slowest runner there, and finished with a smile on her face.  She always tries hard and has fun.

Yet, as I walked to my car, I was almost sobbing.  And I had no idea why.

As I drove home, I tried to figure it out.  And here is what I came up with.

I was overwhelmed by the incredible potential of my children.  A middle school cross country meet by itself is not that big of a deal....but it's just one more building block, one more memory, one more piece of the puzzle that is becoming an amazing young lady.

Children are awesome, scary, inspiring, humbling...and make me cry.  But in a very good way.




1 comment:

  1. I cry simply in amazement of my children and thinking on how I am really going to miss these days when they are gone. Excited for what is to come but at the same time sad that they seem to grow and change daily! I think being a parent just makes you reflect a lot more than you realize. Darn emotions anyway :)

    ReplyDelete